PhD Scholarship in Computer Science at Ghent University in Belgium, 2019-The Ghent University Ghent University is delighted to announce PhD scholarship in Computer Science,Human-Computer Interaction for applicants who have Master of Science degree in Computer Science or Civil Engineering/Computer Science (or equivalent).
Ghent University is a top 100 university and one of the major universities in Belgium. Our 11 faculties offer a wide range of courses and conduct in-depth research in both exact and social sciences. Ghent University aims to encourage its students to adopt a critical approach within a creative, development-oriented educational and research environment.
To be able to determine the proficiency of someone’s knowledge of Dutch or English, Ghent University uses the Common European Framework Reference for Foreign Languages. There are six foreign language proficiency levels and is a basis for the recognition of language qualifications.
Eligibility/Requirements for PhD Scholarship in Computer Science at Ghent University
Applicants must meet the following criteria
- The candidate has a Master of Science degree in Computer Science or Civil Engineering/Computer Science (or equivalent).
- The candidate should have outstanding academic skills, and a clear interest in Human-Computer Interaction (HCI) research.
- The candidate has extensive knowledge and a great interest in software development, because software development of gaming applications is done throughout the research trajectory.
- The candidate should be able to work independently as well as in a multidisciplinary team, and will be guided by advisors with a computer science/HCI background (UHasselt) and with a background in language studies / linguistics (UGent). Therefore, the candidate will spend time in both host universities.
- It is a strong advantage if the candidate has received training and/or gained experience in Human-Computer Interaction topics related to end-user interaction and motivation, user-centred design approaches, prototyping and evaluation techniques.
- Experience developing applications for mobile devices as well as game development is a plus. A possible category of games that is envisioned in the research are 2D online games.
- Due to the application domain of the project and the activities to perform during the PhD trajectory, having advanced knowledge of the Spanish language is highly desirable.
The successful candidate is appointed for two years, and the scholarship is prolonged for another two years after a positive evaluation of the candidate’s research trajectory.
How to apply for PhD Scholarship in Computer Science at Ghent University
The application in English should include
- A motivation letter, summarizing the candidate’s background and capabilities, and describing his/her motivation for this position
- Attested copies of education certificates, and a list of master courses with the grades obtained
- An extensive CV
- Contact information (e-mail) of potential referees
Applications are to be sent by e-mail to Prof. Dr Miriam Bouzouita (Miriam.Bouzouita-at-UGent.be) and Dr Gustavo Rovelo gustavo.roveloruiz-at-uhasselt.be. Application deadline: January 7th, 2019.
Contact persons for more information:
- For general information about the Hercules project: Prof. Dr Miriam Bouzouita (Principal Investigator): Miriam.Bouzouita-at-UGent.be;
- For specifications about this post: Prof. Dr Karin Coninx karin.coninx-at-uhasselt.be and Dr Gustavo Rovelo gustavo.roveloruiz-at-uhasselt.be.
The Deadline of application is on January 07, 2019.
For Comments on PhD Scholarship in Computer Science at Ghent University, use the box.