How to Apply for Google Summer Of Code 2019 for Students-Google Summer of Code is a global program which is focused on bringing more student developers into open source software development. Students work with an open source organization on a 3 month programming projects during their break from school.
Through Google Summer of Code, accepted student applicants are paired with a mentor or mentors from the participating projects, thus gaining exposure to real-world software development scenarios and the opportunity for employment in areas related to their academic pursuits.
Students contact the mentor organizations they want to work with and write up a project proposal for the summer. If accepted,then students spend a month or more integrating with their organizations prior to the start of coding. Students then have three months to code, meeting the deadlines agreed upon with their mentors or supervisors.
Bnefits of Google Summer Of Code 2019
- Successful student contributors are given a $6000 USD stipend, enabling the student concentrate on coding for 3 months
- In 2019, we are using a Purchasing Power Parity (PPP) based calculation to determine the stipend. We start with the base amount of $6000 USD then adjust it based on each country’s PPP value. There is a minimum ($2400) and maximum ($6000) value.
Eligibility/Requirements of Google Summer Of Code 2019
To participate in the Program, a Student must:
- be eighteen (18) years of age or older upon registration for the Program;
- be enrolled in or accepted into an accredited institution, including a college, university, masters program, PhD program and/or undergraduate program, as of the Acceptance Date;
- for the duration of the Program, be eligible to work in the country in which he or she resides; and
- not be an Organization Administrator or Mentor in the Program.
For Comments on Google Summer Of Code 2019, use the box.